Monday, February 4, 2008

Funny little article

Pre-kids I was famous for saying "When I have kids they won't do this, or they will do that...." or "When I have kids I'll never...." Post-kids I was eating my words!! I had no idea what type of challenges parenting would bring. I assumed reading a parenting book, having a game plan and sticking to my guns would really just get me through it. HA! While I think all of those things help sometimes it is just learn as you go......

This is from a parenting magazine I was reading this morning during my workout.

"Parenting books held an incredible appeal because they made the unwieldy business of parenting seem manageable....Giddy with the prospect of having cracked the case, whether it was night wakings or nursing strikes, I'd buy a book, break down the new strategy for my husband and begin applying the principles immediately.

So imagine my dismay when none of them worked...I've tried positive reinforcements and verbal restraining, but the only thing that stops my son from running into traffic is the toddler leash that I attatch to him.

If I were to write my own how-to parenting book, it would be called Parenting by Hook or by Crook: Get the Job Done and Live to See Another Day. I would include chapters like "Just Give It Your Best Shot" and "It's Not a Federal Offense If Your Baby Rolls Off the Couch" and "A Glass of Wine: The Sleep-Training Parent's Best Friend," with an after word titled "No Matter What You Do, Your Child Will Probably End Up in Therapy Anyway." But I'm far too busy chasing my son out of traffic to write a book. So I'll leave it to the experts."-Nicole Caccavo Kear

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh so true! I was the same way. My sisters had kids while I was still young. I'd always tell them that my kids won't do that! Luckily my sisters do not remind me of my ignorance back then. I think they knew I'd be a mommy some day and figure it out.

Katie said...

lol!! That is so funny...love the part about the toddler leash :)

Nicole said...

What a true true artical.I wish or maybe somtimes I don't wish things were that easy.

Kailin said...

Oh, how often I eat my own(pre children) words! What a great article...thanks for sharing!